Dear Fellow Bangers,
Please find enclosed below an official wrap up for the Angles City 2005 – Fat Boy competition, released by the Pot Bellied Pigs RFC, Hong Kong who are the competition organisers. I will let you all read the result below, however 2 points that are missing;
1. The Bangkok Bangers represented by Peter Johansson, John Perry and Keith "Moon" Coljohn won the Angles City – Fat Boy 10s golf tournament contested by 44 people (11 teams). Trophy to be on display in Wall Street (as well as the plate runner-up trophy).
2. The Bangkok Bangers won their 1st game against the Seoul Barbarians (who last year won the plate final).
Some of the highlights of the tour and not in any particular order were;
The axe gets it started
* Our performance in 3rd game of the tournament against the Hong Kong Pot Bellied Pigs RFC, "lites" ( lites??? their wingers were bigger then most of our forward pack) in this match the Bangers were not expected to put us much of a challenge. 1 minute into the match one of the largest pot bellied pig player’s had white line fever about 20 meters out. He reached about 10 meters out and was hit by JP "the axe" that hard his front teeth end up in the back row of the grandstand. As a result the ball popped up and we ran the distance of the field to score the first try and semi final (result below).
Commitment to the team
* One of the guys on tour not to be mentioned (what goes on – stays on) was a little confused about the tournament rules. At the weight in we all had to wear G-string underpants, which for the guys that have not warn them before are very uncomfortable. After the first game of the day one, which we won in a very tight tussle a couple of the boys were having a slash behind a tree and one of the boys said to other;
Guy a, "F*&# these G-strings are uncomfortable"
Guy b, what G-strings
Guy a, the G-string we were given last night to wear.
Guy b, yeah but we only had to wear them at the weigh in Guy a, no the rules state that we have to wear them for each game and that there will be spot checks and fines for not wearing them.
Guy b, mate if that is the case then every person here today will be fines but one YOU.
Our cheer team
* Meeting us at the airport with cold beer for the trip up.
* Providing water on the side-line for the team.
* Massages at our tent between games.
* It was good to spend 4 days with guys that all have similar interests, RUGBY, beers, fun and laughs.
We were well lead by Keith Coljohn (later to be voted as the tournament best and fairest). Every player that put on a Bangers jersey gave 100% (like every time) however when you are playing 4 games in 1 day and often against guys a lot fitter it was very pleasing to see the boys fighting to the end. The Bangers played good, hard and fair Rugby and as a result a number of teams have asked if we would be interested in hosting them in 2006.
Hospitality and organisation
We were fortunate enough to stay in the best hotel in Angles City – the Phoenix Hotel (lead from Ken Smith), the manager Mike (email address included above) looked after us very well (the best food in town). Next year we will work a lot closer with Mike in organizing accommodation and transport. The competition was also very well organised by the Pot Bellies Pigs and it was a credit to them considering this is only the 2nd year running.
I would like to thank the players that represented the Bangkok Bangers on the weekend who were;
Dave Rimi "the patriot"
Ben Mike (mate from the pub)
Grant Signal (ref)
Than Lwin Tun